Newsela is transforming education. As the fastest growing K-12 company in history, Newsela currently serves and is impacting over 90% of K-12 US schools and over 20 million students. With its proprietary, rapid text-leveling process, Newsela empowers educators to dramatically improve learning, critical thinking and awareness. These essential components prepare students to engage with topics important to them, and ultimately become tomorrow’s global citizens.
Headquartered in NYC with offices in Mountain View, Newsela has raised venture financing from some of the world’s best investors and philanthropies, including Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, Mark Zuckerberg, Owl Ventures, Mitch Kapor and the Gates Foundation.
Role and responsibilities
We are excited to partner with Newsela in seeking a talented and analytical Chief Marketing Officer to effectively lead and manage all aspects of the marketing organization, including strategy, budget, planning, operations and execution. The Chief Marketing Officer will report directly to the CEO and, as a member of the senior leadership team, work collaboratively to help determine the go to market strategy and determine the right strategy to source leads and open new market opportunities.
- Function as a key member of the executive team, playing the lead role in marketing and collaborating with Newsela’s CEO and CRO in revenue growth strategy.
- Craft the messaging and positioning for Newsela, and clearly articulate the value proposition, and in turn, continue to build the brand. Translate this messaging to demand capture and develop compelling content related to how Newsela’s products solve problems for customers across diverse segments and use cases.
- Create high-impact, go-to-market plans to support the launch of new products, the release of product updates and the sharing of critical product news via content marketing including whitepapers/guides, checklists, infographics, videos, social media and blog posts.
- Develop a data driven marketing strategy through all digital channels to drive positive ROI, and establishing a methodology to measure, track and course correct based on critical metrics.
- Create and implement demand generation campaigns that generate leads, drive awareness and aid in qualifying prospective customers.
- Partner closely with the Sales and Product organizations to drive growth in the pipeline, closed business and conversion rates across the entire funnel while cost-effectively maximizing qualified lead flow.
- Effectively own and communicate relevant funnel metrics and status across the executive management team.
- Manage production of all sales support materials including customer and industry presentations, marketing collateral, and all sales/channel support tools.
- Lead market research and analytics including market segmentation, target account identification, market trends, customer verticals, and competitive analysis.
- Maintain a strong understanding of competitive intelligence to support differentiation of Newsela’s products versus peers for marketing communications and enabling sales.
- 10+ years in progressive b2b marketing roles, including experience leading and mentoring high-performing marketing teams.
- Demonstrated ability to tightly manage and communicate a GTM funnel, including acquisition, nurturing/development, and conversion across every step from inception to close.
- Strong background developing successful lead generation and nurturing programs.
- Strong manager with ability and experience building a high performing, motivated, full-stack marketing team.
- Success developing go to market strategies and shaping a company’s public profile.
- Ability to work collaboratively across functions to create a strong partnership with sales, product and content that will ensure success in product roadmap, positioning, market awareness and sales execution.
- Inspirational and cross-functional leader.
- Highly resourceful and innovative.
- Passionate about marketing best practices and continuous learning for yourself and your team.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills.
- Ability to think both strategically and drive fast-paced execution.
Newsela is strongly committed to the principle of equal opportunity for all individuals.
Newsela will make all employment decisions without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status of any other status protected by law.