Director of Mobile Engineering
Hinge is looking for an experienced, versatile leader to join our team in NYC and direct development of our iOS and Android apps. Leading both the iOS and Android teams, the Director of Mobile Engineering will have the opportunity of making a huge impact on the organization and business, by providing technical and developmental leadership. You can be proud of building an app which has a huge impact on the lives of our users.
Under the leadership of Hinge’s VP of Engineering Eric Bogs (formerly Google, Etsy, Spotify), the engineering team has grown (and grown up) a great deal in the last year. The iOS and Android teams have grown from 1 per platform to 3 per platform (with an aim of 4-5 per platform by EOY). The team is on the cusp of a dramatic velocity increase, and is currently working towards a roadmap of new features, creating a framework for rapid experimentation, a redesign, as well as improvements to quality and performance.
Hinge has enjoyed incredible growth and success in the last few years, and the team are at an inflection point, looking for a strong leader to help position Hinge for the next chapter of success.
Our Philosophy: Work that matters
Hinge is on a mission to create meaningful relationships, in the real world. Joining Hinge means you’ll work on a product that impacts the most important part of people’s lives.
Shape the future of how couples meet.
We’re not building a swiping video game. At Hinge, we believe in keeping things real. That’s why when it comes to finding relationships, we help people meet the old-fashioned way: through their real life friends.
Build something big.
Hinge creates 40,000 dates per week, and hundreds of new relationships each day. We’re live in 38 cities and 5 countries and have grown 5x in the past year, and are backed by $20M+ from top-tier VCs.
But we’re thinking even bigger. Dating is a $5B industry growing at 15% per year. You should join us to help build the go-to app for finding relationships globally, to become a household name, and to change the love lives of millions of people around the world.
Get in early.
You’ll join a small (25 person) team, make a big impact and help shape the future of Hinge. You’ll receive equity and a competitive salary. And when we say equity, we don’t mean <0.1%. Because we want the best people.
Surround yourself with A-players.
We have an A-team from companies like Spotify, Meetup, Google, Etsy, LivingSocial, TechStars, Bonobos, ThredUP, and more. We only hire people who have the following values:
- Rigorous: our team is smart, thorough and efficient.
- Humble: getting the right answer is more important than being right.
- Invested: we each work to ensure we don’t become the bottleneck.
- Positive: respond to challenges with “yes, if” rather than “no, because.”
- Trustworthy: we don’t lie, cheat or steal.
Between our unique work style and office perks, you’ll actually love coming to work and the people you work with.
- Consensus-Driven: We don’t believe right answers are found by individuals.
- Non-Reactive: We focus on medium- to long-term value for the 95%.
- Flat: Leaders guide, facilitate and resource. They don’t micromanage.
- Focused: We aim to do few things well rather than many things poorly.
- Relaxed: We’re kind and respectful. We can laugh at ourselves.
- New York, NY! Located in our very own space at 20th and 5th in Flatiron.
- 25 totally excellent teammates working across engineering, product and marketing.
- Full health, dental, and vision. Plus loads of free kombucha, fresh fruits, nuts and veggies.
- Catered lunches, happy hours and adventurous field trips.
- “Take what you need” vacation and work from home policies.
- Dog-friendly office. (Wait until you meet Kermit!)
- technical ownership of iOS and Android platforms (architecture, development, some hands-on development)
- lead, develop, and recruit iOS and Android engineers
- work closely with Product Owners to plan and execute client projects
- work closely with Director of Backend Engineering to coordinate client/server interfaces
- work closely with QA Lead to deliver client releases
You should be an expert in (and have dreams about)
- iOS and Android application architecture and design—expertise in one or the other with proficiency in both
- developing, testing, and shipping consumer applications
- building adaptive, responsive, accessible, stable user interfaces
- application performance and tuning (memory, CPU, battery life)
- client/server architectures, syncing and caching approaches
- concurrency, asynchronous & multithreading patterns
- delighting users