Newsela is an Instructional Content Platform that brings together engaging, accessible content with integrated assessments and insights to supercharge reading engagement and learning in every subject. We are dedicated to our mission to unlock the written word for everyone. Five years since our launch, Newsela is in 75% of schools, across all 50 U.S. states, in addition to being in over 180 countries. The result has been more engaged readers—and engaged readers are better learners.
If you’ve demonstrated exceptional success bringing to market high-performing content products in a fast-changing environment that necessitates adaptivity, creativity, and strong execution, this is your opportunity. As a VP of Product for Newsela, you will build and maintain a deep understanding of today’s educational landscape and major market trends on your way to developing some of the most innovative products in the world of educational content.
As a habit of ongoing excellence, you will spot and resolve ambiguous issues in a timely and responsive manner. You will foster a culture of product management excellence. You will effectively structure our content product development process so that product managers and their teams are making strong use of data for timely, tactical decision-making. You’ll be responsible for hiring, retaining a talented, high-performing team of product managers and take pride in cultivating their growth and helping them manage their career path at Newsela. And throughout all this, you will ensure that the voices of our users and buyers remain central to our thinking.
- Define and develop Collections product vision in alignment with the company’s short and long-term goals.
- Own the content product roadmap and communicate with C-level staff, board members, and other stakeholders on Collections statuses, including revenue actuals and plans as well as engagement.
- Work with the Finance and Data teams to develop budgets, forecasts, and metrics.
- Lead, manage and mentor a team of product managers; build incredible teams and processes to deliver products that satisfy the needs of customers.
- Invest cross-functional teams in a shared vision, working with leadership from other teams and departments to align around goals and timelines.
- Drive innovative ideas, solutions and products through leadership and decisive action; embrace a spirit of iteration and learning.
- Lead and collaborate with Product Marketing stakeholders to assess and advise product marketing strategy (including strategic marketing plans for product lines, defining pricing and competitive positioning).
- Strengthen and contribute to product team culture.
- 10+ years experience in a senior role in a high-performing, high-growth product or media organization
- Proven experience in taking content products to market
- Proven experience leading product teams in managerial positions
- Familiarity with diverse business functions such as marketing, PR, finance
- Excellent community and presentation skills
- Track record of hiring, retaining and developing strong product managers
- Demonstrated expertise in achieving significant results with a SAAS product
- Demonstrated history of a commitment to building a diverse workforce
Nice to have
- Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline
- Strong analytical reasoning skills
- MBA or equivalent experience
- Experience in working in an education-related industry
- Optimism, preferably infectious